What is Melasma?
Melasma is a common skin problem, it can also be referred to as chloasma, or the “mask of pregnancy,” when it occurs in pregnant women.The condition causes dark, discoloured patches on your skin. It typically occurs on the face and is symmetrical, with matching marks on both sides of the face.
Melasma appears when these cells become hyperactive and produce too much pigment in certain areas of the skin.
Does Melasma only affect pregnant women?
No, Melasma is common in women who are pregnant, however it is possible to get Melasma for other reasons. The condition is much more common in women than men, though men can get it too. Melasma is also more common in people of colour and those who tan very quickly but can occur to anyone.
What are the causes of Melasma?
There is no known cause of Melasma however there has been many known triggers. The most common triggers are genetics and hormonal changes, which is why it is often associated with pregnancy. Additionally, there are other possibilities such as sun exposure, skin irritation and skin tone which are also known triggers for Melasma.
Can it be cured? Unfortunately, there is no permanent cure to Melasma. But there are several treatment options available to help improve the appearance with continued use.
What treatments will help Melasma?
- There are many skin products that when used regularly, will help with the appearance of Melasma.
- Products containing Vitamin C, glycolic acid and retinol are all proven to improve the appearance of Melasma.
- Check out the range of products on our online store including Obagi-C range and Skinbetter Science.
On the phone:
- Hydroquinone and retinoids are well known to help improve the appearance of Melasma.
- Why not have a phone consultation with one of our skin specialists if you feel you may require these products for you.
- Contact us for an over the phone consultation and purchase.
In the Clinic:
- Chemical Peels are a great way to treat the appearance of Melasma and brighten the skin.
- IPL (Intense pulsed light) is another treatment Neo-Derm provides to treat Melasma.
- Or arrange a consultation appointment with our doctor to discuss the best treatment for you.
The Obagi-C system contains all the ingredients to help improve the appearance of Melasma including Vitamin C and glycolic acid, the SPF also protects the skin from all UV exposure which is a know trigger for Melasma.
This award winning skincare cream features a unique ingredient that is made up of a retinoid combined with an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), but also offers a higher concentration of glycolic acid. Perfect to help improve the appearance of Melasma.